Gwen Hefner named her blog The Makerista for good reason. She started a jewelry company in college, served a stint in the fashion trade and blogs about making a home with her handy husband, Micah, for their two kids, Xander and Milly. Named 2015 Decorater Blog of the Year by Better Homes and Gardens, she enjoys making anything and everything, except dinner.
“Whether it be something for myself, my children or my home,” she says, “I believe there is beauty and satisfaction in making it yourself.”
Here’s what’s on her current list:
01. My breakfast smoothie. I don’t drink caffeine, but I wake up most mornings craving this. I try to pack in a lot of calories and nutrients first thing, so I usually throw four bananas, two cups of spinach, a handful of romaine, and two cups of frozen berries into the blender with some water and drink it on the run or while I work through emails.
02. L’ Occitane Lavande hand cream. I don’t really wear perfume but I love lavender lotions and oils. A little scent of calm amongst the day-to-day craziness is just what I need.
03. Big Cedar Lodge. I’m not good at relaxing for long, so laying on the beach for a week isn’t my cup of tea. With our young family, a few days here every summer is an easy trip and a nice getaway.
04. Ashley Hicks. I love following him on Instagram. I’m an Anglophile, so seeing his gardens and traditional home sprinkled with colorful modernism is really exciting to me. Instagram is definitely my favorite tool for seeing what designers are doing in the here and now and snippets of their own personal inspiration and lives.”
05. The Corner Café’s cinnamon roll. It can’t be beat in taste or size. It’s probably sinful to eat the whole thing myself, but that hasn’t stopped me.
06. L’Oreal Voluminous Waterproof mascara. I’ve tried all brands and price ranges of mascara, and this is the best. It lengthens without being too thick and keeps my eyelashes curled all day—an instant eye opener.
07. Jennifer Janesko jewelry. With little ones I don’t wear a lot of the statement jewelry I used to love. She creates such interesting, yet sleek pieces at wonderful prices. It’s been really fun to see her talent translate from art to jewelry, and I’m a big fan.
08. Philodendron Bipinnatifidum. I have about 20 houseplants, and they bring wonderful life to any space with little cost and low maintenance. This is my current favorite.
09. André’s Confiserie Suisse. The traditionalist in me loves their chocolates.
10. Paige Denim skinnies and Ann Taylor chambray shirt. I love a good pair of black jeans and a nice, crisp button-up. It’s my go-to for almost anything, from shopping to evening events, because you can dress it up or down.