Although she spent most of her childhood in Indonesia, Crystle Lampitt has grown to love Kansas City after moving to the area at the age of 12. And now, as the current host and producer for 38 the Spot and 41 Action News, she spends most of her time tracking down lifestyle and entertainment stories to bring to your TV screen. To see her on air, tune in to the 7 a.m. newscast on weekdays and on Sunday nights at 10 p.m. for “Behind The Spotlight,” a weekly show that features local and national music artists.
01. L’Oreal Telescopic mascara. I’ve tried so many expensive mascaras, but this drugstore brand has been my favorite. I have thin, straight lashes, and this plastic wand literally piles the gunk on them—in a good way.
02. My MacBook Air. Due to my social media feed, people tend to think I’m just hopping around town all the time doing fun things for work—but I actually spend about 90 percent of my time at my desk writing. My laptop is essential for me to scour the web and write.
03. The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. I am a recovering perfectionist, and it has helped me a lot to read about others with similar tendencies. One of my favorite interviewees, a famous violinist named Lindsey Stirling, recommended Brene Brown books to me and I have been obsessed ever since.
04. Alysa Rene Boutique. There is always a selection of great Bohemian pieces. If the weather would cooperate, I’d wear flowy tops and floppy hats all year round.
05. Chaz in the Raphael Hotel on the Plaza. It is such a cozy, romantic spot with great food and live music. They also have a snazzy jazzy brunch on the weekends—I celebrated my last birthday there and ordered the eggs benedict, which were divine.
06. Audible. I love hard copies of books, but because I have a 30- to 45-minute commute to work every day, I started downloading audiobooks. It started as a way to be productive and get through all the books I want to read, but now I’ve noticed Audible actually keeps my road rage in check.
07. Hoop earrings. I never change them (except for the very rare special occasion) and wear them every day. They’re from Salatiga, the small mountain village I grew up in. These hoops are so perfect—they’re hollow and very light, so I can even sleep and shower in them.
08. Maps Coffee in Lenexa. Before I tried Vincent’s coffee, I could not drink coffee without lots of cream and sugar. His blends and cold brews are so smooth.
09. Baldwin jeans. They’re dark, sleek and they fit me perfectly. Simple is best for me—I like it when one item can match everything.