Kansas City landscape designer Lauren Mackin shares her current must-haves
A landscape designer and creative director for Stonebridge Outdoor, Lauren Mackin has a love of outdoor living and entertaining and an appreciation for functional design. She and her husband, Todd, along with their two pups, just migrated from loft living in the Crossroads to home ownership in Westwood, where this spring she’s begun designing her own garden and outdoor space.
1. Patrick Blanc. I have a serious appreciation for this internationally known designer’s vertical garden installations. His work is, both literally and figuratively, on a different level.
2. KCMO sweatshirt by LocalE. Flowy skirts and dresses are my favorite weekend garb for anything from the farmers markets to dinner parties—casual and comfortable, but also feminine (and also floral). But for around the house, I live in this sweatshirt. It’s probably the softest thing I own.
3. No. 6 by Society. A dear friend—and the biggest candle snob I know—turned me on to this. It’s subtle and non-seasonal, but it’s also difficult to track down. So I also love Sydney Hale candles. They smell fantastic, and the fact that they donate 10 percent of the profits to dog rescue makes them a front-runner.
4. Loose Park Rose Garden. So tough to pick just one, but out of allegiance to K.C., I have to say this is at the top of my list of favorite gardens in the U.S. Naturally, I wanted to get married in a garden, and it proved to be the ideal setting for a pretty perfect June day.
5. Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia). One of my favorite plants. It’s a mildly aggressive groundcover I use around walkways, water features and spilling over containers and walls. It doesn’t flower, but its chartreuse, heart-shaped leaves brighten the landscape all season long.
6. Glossier mask duo. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that when it comes to makeup, the best offense is a good defense—meaning skincare takes top priority. This duo is like “a juice cleanse for your face.” I use the Mega Greens Galaxy Pack followed by the Moisturizing Moon Mask once a week.
7. Hi Hat Coffee Shop. My first stop of the day. It’s a stone’s throw from my house, so on weekdays I pop in on my way to meetings, but on Saturday mornings my husband and I will walk down there with the dogs. Great coffee and the staff is super nice.
8. Le Charmel Côtes de Provence Rosé. I tend to celebrate rosé season all year ’round, but even more so in the warmer months. I highly recommend this—it’s delicious. You can find it at Underdog in Crestwood. Cheers!